Balanced. A balanced wine should have its basic flavor components in good proportion. Our taste buds detect sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. Most dry wines will display a mix of flavors derived from the aromas, along with the tastes of the acids, tannins and alcohol, which cannot generally be detected simply by smell.
What is a good wine to start with?
Sweetness ranges from dry reds and whites like Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay to very sweet dessert wines such as Port. For many beginners, off-dry wines such as Moscato d'Asti and Pinot Noir are a great entree into wines.
What are the best types of wine?
While the five most popular types of red wine are dry, sweet red wines do exist.
- Sangiovese. Pronounced: SAHN-joh-VAY-zee.
- Pinot Noir. Pronounced: PEE-noh nwahr.
- Syrah/Shiraz. Pronounced:
- Merlot. Pronounced:
- Cabernet Sauvignon. Pronounced:
- Chenin Blanc. Pronounced:
- Pinot Gris/Pinot Grigio. Pronounced:
- Riesling. Pronounced:
You May Like Also