Here's what you must remember when approaching an aggressive, fearful, or shy dog.
- Don't Loom Over the Dog.
- Get Down on the Dog's Level.
- Turn Sideways.
- Avert Your Gaze.
- Watch Your Tone of Voice.
- Never Punish a Fearful Dog.
- Don't Force Things.
- Stay Positive.
Keeping this in view, how do you get a dog to trust you?
How to get a dog to trust you
- Stay calm. It can be tempting to greet a dog with excited energy, but avoid the temptation.
- Respect their space. Practice “no touch, no talk, no eye contact.”
- Get on their level. When you do approach the dog, do so from the side and never from the front.
- Let them come to you.
- Go for a walk.
How do I get my dog to behave?
Method 8 Training Your Dog to “Wait” at Doorways
- Begin doorway “wait”-training early.
- Place the dog on a leash.
- Walk to the door.
- Give a “wait” command before stepping through.
- Praise him when he waits.
- Teach him to sit in the threshold.
- Give a separate command to encourage him through the doorway.
What causes a dog to be aggressive?
Aggression in dogs is cause for concern in many dog owners. Aggression is defined as the threat of harm to another individual involving snarling, growling, snapping, biting, barking or lunging. Understanding the contributing factors in aggression can often help in the treatment of aggression.
You May Like Also